Search This Blog

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Auto Dreams, release 12: A discussion

Castline's M2 Machines Auto Dreams release 12 clearly let diecast collectors know they wanted to get into the BWF game. Six at a time at that!!! I have them proudly displayed in my garage. :-)

Point of discussion: Let's look back to the Fifties and early Sixties. Teens who were lucky enough to have a car wanted to "soup it up". Some added flames to the paint job. I want to review each piece in release 12 as a 1:1 belonging to a young guy back in that timeframe. First is the '49 Merc. This car would definitely be a candidate for flames - no question. It's older so prbably cheaper. Second, the '57 Bel Air. Maybe the Bel Air, but probably a 180 or 210 sedan - more affordable for the kid. They were pretty common back then so likely to be flamed. Third, the '51 Crestline. Top trim in the lineup for flamage? Doubtful. Probably an entry level sedan or coupe to flame. Lots of them available. Fourth, the '55 Fireflite. Probably not a car a kid would choose to own. But if he got it handed down to him, it would be an unlikely vehicle to "soup up", let alone paint flames on its quarters. Fifth, the '55 Royal Lancer. Um, no. Not even the lesser Coronet. Just doesn't seem to be a flame-worthy car.
Sixth, the '58 Fury. Maybe. But perhaps the Belvedere instead. Those were big, long rides with sweeping fins in the back. Yeah, I suppose a kid would flame a Belvie.
In closing, 5 of the 6 offerings in Detroit Muscle, release 14 are clearly cadidates for flames. But seriously folks, would you REALLY want to put flames on a rare '69 Daytona???

2 comments:

  1. I havent seen these yet. New to M2 Machines but love the few I have. I agree with the time frame thing. JL put flames on a Nash? They should do this with Auto-Thentics. I love these oldies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who also collects '69 Daytona Chargers, I'm all in favor of flaming one of those! For what it's worth, here in Rhode Island in the 80's, we actually had a lime green Superbird running around with red flames on it!

    One of these days I'm going to do a vintage Mopar dealership '69 Daytona Charger diorama, and put it next to that cool vintage Mobil gas staion from Danbury Mint that I haven't finished yet! Maybe I'l put in a vintage drive-in burger stand that I don't have yet!

    ReplyDelete